Yellow Dot Program
Yellow Dot Program
The “Yellow Dot” program is the first program of its kind in the state of Alabama. It is designed to assist Alabama citizens and first responders in the event of an automobile crash or other medical emergency involving the participant’s vehicle. The program can help save lives during the critical “golden hour” by improving communication at a time when accident victims may be unable to communicate for themselves.
The “Yellow Dot” program provides detailed medical information that can be crucial following a crash. Participants of the program receive a “Yellow Dot” decal, a “Yellow Dot” folder and an information form with the participant’s name, an identifying photo, emergency contact information, personal physicians’ information, medical conditions, recent surgeries, allergies and medications being used. A “Yellow Dot” decal on the driver’s side rear window of a vehicle alerts first responders to check in the glove compartment for the corresponding “Yellow Dot” folder. Having this information following a crash helps first responders positively identify the person, get in touch with family or emergency contacts and ensures that the person’s current medications and pre-existing medical conditions are considered when treatment is administered for injuries.
The “Yellow Dot” program is a free service provided to individuals of all ages, with an emphasis on senior citizens. The program is being funded by the Alabama Department of Economic and Community Affairs / Law Enforcement Traffic Safety Division (ADECA/LETS) and is being administered by the Northeast Alabama Traffic Safety Office. The “Yellow Dot” program is a cooperative effort of local Law Enforcement, Fire & Rescue, Emergency Medical Services, Senior Groups and concerned citizens.
How to Sign Up for the Program in the City of Mountain Brook:
1. Contact Ms. Jennifer Price at the Administrative Office of the Mountain Brook Fire Department at 205-802-3838 or by email during normal business hours Monday through Friday. The office is located at 102 Tibbett Street, Mountain Brook AL 35213.
2. Other than basic information (name, address, phone number, etc.), the following medical information will be needed from you for the program:
- Blood Type
- Medical Conditions/Recent Surgeries
- Medications (Generic Name)
- Physicians (Name, City & State, Office phone number)
- Hospital Preference
3. Emergency contact information: Name, Address, Phone Number of two people to contact if you are in an emergency.
4. Your picture will be taken to include as part of the information. If you are completing the program for someone else, you will need to bring a picture of the person with you so that it can be scanned and included in the program.